MHG46397 - Site of Type 24 pillbox, Braehead, Keiss
The site of a Type 24 pillbox, only the base of which remains.
Type and Period (1)
- PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/24) (Built, Second World War - 1940 AD to 1941 AD (between))
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (30/05/2003)
ND36SE 51 35057 60930
A type 24 pillbox is situated just below the roadway at Braehead on a slope overlooking Keiss Harbour. Built of brick and concrete and facing E is is depicted on the OS 1:10000 scale map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (DE), May 2003 <1>
This pillbox was identified during the Defence of Britain survey and visited in August 2001. It is described as a "Type 24 pillbox facing SE across Keiss Harbour and Sinclair's Bay. Only base left. Rear walls replaced with new walls to form shelter for bench. " <2>
This site was visited and photographed by a member of HCAU staff in August 2009 and found to be as described. <3>
<1> RCAHMS, 02/2008, Annual update from Canmore, 244341 (Dataset). SHG24123.
<2> Council for British Archaeology, 2006, Defence of Britain database, S0015527 (Interactive Resource/Online Database). SHG24447.
<3> Tilbury, S, 2009-11, Photographs by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer, 22/08/2009 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24247.
- <1> Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 244341.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Council for British Archaeology. 2006. Defence of Britain database. S0015527.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Tilbury, S. 2009-11. Photographs by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. Colour. . Digital. 22/08/2009.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 35058 60929 (5m by 6m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/resources.html?dob (CBA Defence of Britain database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/244341 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.