MHG4646 - Cairn w finds, Avielochan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (CULTURE 800; CULTURE 1300; , Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
- None recorded
NH91NW 8 9053 1689.
A cairn on Mr Macintosh's farm at Avielochan was ploughed up before 1910 by the owner who found a bronze pin under one of the stones. It was 4" in length with a flat round head with projecting shoulders where it narrows to the pin. Presented to the NMAS.
C G Cash 1910. <1>
Centred NH 9055 1691. Mr Grant (Farmer, Avielochan) indicated approximately where the old cairn had been located.
No visible traces of it remains.
Visited by OS (R L) 10 November 1966.
RMS EQ 309 Disc-headed pin with fillets below the head, and probably dating from the Viking period. The head of this example is decorated with 'rocked tracer' ornament in a cruciform pattern.
L R Laing 1973. <2>
The pin is not Viking, but more likely to be medieval, dating to the 11th or 12th century based on parallels elsewhere (see Newman 1995).
Newman, Conor 1995. 'The pin from Area 2' in J.S. Rideout, 'Carn Dubh, Moulin, Perthshire: survey and excavation of an archaeological landscape 1987-90', Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 125, pp. 155-7. <3>
<1> Cash, C G, 1910, 'Archaeological notes from Aviemore', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 44 1909-10, p.189-203, 192-3; illust. (Text/Publication/Article). SHG192.
<2> Laing, L R, 1973, 'People and pins in Dark Age Scotland' in Trans Dumfriesshire Galloway Natur Hist Antiq Soc Vol. 50 (1973), pp 53-71, 70, No. 30 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1344.
<3> Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH), 2012, Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Boat of Garten, Site 58 (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25666.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Cash, C G. 1910. 'Archaeological notes from Aviemore', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 44 1909-10, p.189-203. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 189-203. 192-3; illust..
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Laing, L R. 1973. 'People and pins in Dark Age Scotland' in Trans Dumfriesshire Galloway Natur Hist Antiq Soc Vol. 50 (1973), pp 53-71. 70, No. 30.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Boat of Garten. Yes. Digital. Site 58.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9052 1689 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
- PIN (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15401 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.