MHG4649 - Castle - Tom Pitlac
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CASTLE (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) MOTTE (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
Access Audit 114 - HAW 11/2003
NH91NW 4 9473 1963. Tom Bigla (NAT) Bigla Cummings Castle (NR) (Remains of) OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
The remains of 'an ancient stronghold' called Tom Pitlac ( the hill of Bigla or Matilda), an oblong plateau bounded on one side by the Spey, and on the other three by a moat 8ft deep; on the plateau are the grass-covered foundation lines of a building about 70ft long. The name is associated with Bigla (Matilda) Cumin, daughter of Gilbert Cumin, Lord of Glenchearnach in the early 15th century; and the heroine of a number of local legends.
A Mitchell and J Drummond 1875.
Known locally as Tom Pitlac. The earthwork consists of a V-shaped ditch (not a moat) of clean-cut profile, and is probably medieval. At the E end of the enclosed area there is a near rectangular depression measuring about 8m E-W by 7m transversly, possibly the site of a building (? tower), but probing for signs of walling was inconclusive. It is possible that this is a motte.
Surveyed at 1/2500
Visited by OS (R L) 8 November 1966.
BAS Local Plan, Sept. 1997: P19/2.5.14. Archyl. Sites.
J Aitken : 24/05/01.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Yeoman, P A. 1988. 'Mottes in Northeast Scotland', Scot Archaeol Rev Vol. 5 1988, p.125-33. Scot Archaeol Rev. 125-33. 131, no. 82.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mitchell, A and Drummond, J. 1874. Vacation notes in Cromar, Burghead, and Strathspey. Including notice of one of the supposed burial-places of St Columba. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 10. 603-89. 671-2, 675.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Tom Pitlac. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9472 1964 (112m by 103m)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:9110 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM9110 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15397 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.