MHG4653 - St. Kenneth's Church, Laggan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
NN58NW 1 5351 8969.
(NN 5361 8969) St. Kenneth's Church (NR) (Rems. of)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
At the E end of Loch Laggan stand the remains of an old church dedicated to St. Kenneth of Aghabo, a distinguished Irish Pict who visited Scotland in the late 6th century (Simpson 1935).
The greatest part of the walls still stand and its consecrated burying ground remains in use (OSA 1792).
OSA 1792; W D Simpson 1935.
The ruined church of St. Kenneth measures internally 17.5m E-W by 5.6m transversely. The walls of stone with shell lime mortar, are 0.9m thick, and stand 1.8-2.1m in height. The west gable is intact but the other is gone. In the S wall 4.5m from the west end, is a door-way, 1.1m wide with a font or stoup within a recess in the east side which is at this point strengthened with an external buttress. There is an arched burial recess further to the east. The burial ground is still in use.
Visited by OS (A S P) 7 June 1961.
Visited by OS (N K B) 13 October 1965.
The church and graveyard were listed at Category C in 1971.
St Kenneth's Church and cross slab were scheduled in 1993.
In the graveyard opposite the entrance to the church on the S side of the footpath is a very thin, possibly early Christian cross slab. 2m high x 1m x 50mm deep with check stone propping it up. Carving only on W side, of an incised cruciform cross outline that occupies whole of cross slab. Possible that this is no longer in its original position.
Information from H Hanson, Historic Scotland Monument Warden
J Aitken : 10/12/02
Access Audit No 54 - HAW 11/2003
The scheduled area was specifically omitted from the Category C listing following re-assessment by Historic Scotland in 2015. <1>
Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol. 3, 151 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.
Simpson, W D, 1935, The Celtic church in Scotland: a study of its penetration lines and art relationships, 83-4 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2798.
<1> Jackson, L., 2015, Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, Two Hundred and Eleventh Amendment) 2015 (Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings). SHG27410.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 3, 151.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, W D. 1935. The Celtic church in Scotland: a study of its penetration lines and art relationships. 83-4.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Jackson, L.. 2015. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, Two Hundred and Eleventh Amendment) 2015. Historic Scotland. 04/09/2015. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 5351 8969 (21m by 12m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5703 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/24302 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.