MHG29785 - Graveyard - St. Kenneth's Church, Laggan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
NN58NW 1 5351 8969.
(NN 5361 8969) St. Kenneth's Church (NR) (Rems. of)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
At the E end of Loch Laggan stand the remains of an old church dedicated to St. Kenneth of Aghabo, a distinguished Irish Pict who visited Scotland in the late 6th century (Simpson 1935).
The greatest part of the walls still stand and its consecrated burying ground remains in use (OSA 1792).
OSA 1792; W D Simpson 1935.
The ruined church of St. Kenneth measures internally 17.5m E-W by 5.6m transversely. The walls of stone with shell lime mortar, are 0.9m thick, and stand 1.8-2.1m in height. The west gable is intact but the other is gone. In the S wall 4.5m from the west end, is a door-way, 1.1m wide with a font or stoup within a recess in the east side which is at this point strengthened with an external buttress. There is an arched burial recess further to the east. The burial ground is still in use.
Visited by OS (A S P) 7 June 1961.
Visited by OS (N K B) 13 October 1965.
The church and graveyard were listed at Category C in 1971.
'Speyside Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alison Mitchell. The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies may be encountered. First published 1975, reprinted 1992. <1>
St Kenneth's Church and cross slab were scheduled in 1993.
In the graveyard opposite the entrance to the church on the S side of the footpath is a very thin, possibly early Christian cross slab. 2m high x 1m x 50mm deep with check stone propping it up. Carving only on W side, of an incised cruciform cross outline that occupies whole of cross slab. Possible that this is no longer in its original position.
Information from H Hanson, Historic Scotland Monument Warden
J Aitken : 10/12/02
Photographs by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. <2>
The church and cross slab were excluded from the Category C listing in August 2015 as part of a project looking at dual designations of sites in the Highlands, though they remain a scheduled monument. <3>
- --- SHG2606 Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 3, 151.
- --- SHG2798 Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, W D. 1935. The Celtic church in Scotland: a study of its penetration lines and art relationships. 83-4.
- <1> SHG2161 Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alison Mitchell. 1992. Speyside Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 2nd.
- <2> SHG24247 Image/Photograph(s): Tilbury, S. 2009-11. Photographs by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. Colour. . Digital. 12/06/2009.
- <3> SHG27410 Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Jackson, L.. 2015. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, Two Hundred and Eleventh Amendment) 2015. Historic Scotland. 04/09/2015. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 5351 8968 (40m by 29m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB6907 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.