MHG46670 - Engine House - Coast Battery, Site No. 1, Noth Sutor
Searchlight battery engine house associated with the First World War Site No. 1, 9.2 inch Battery, and later Second World War 6 inch Battery site.
Type and Period (3)
- ENGINE HOUSE (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (First World War to Second World War - 1914 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
A brick and concrete stand-by set house with blast wall protecting the side entrance is situated about 105m NW of the WW II No.2 gun-emplacement. Internally, the engine mounting beds are visible.
The set house was to provide electricity for the battery using diesel generators.
Visited by RCAHMS, (DE, GS, SW), August 2000
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>
The original First World War engine house had a protective berm or bank of earth and stone on its E and S sides. The Second World War engine house was rebuilt just to the N and E of the original. The new engine house, which still stands, has evidence of three engines and possible smaller fourth.
The protective bank has been removed and the engine house is currently used to shelter cattle. <2>
GIS spatial data representing both successive engine houses and their protective bank was copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS First World War Survey Project. <3>
For other installations associated with the First World War (Site No. 1) 9.2 inch battery site, see also MHG35176, MHG35177, MHG35179, MHG35183, MHG59897, MHG59148, MHG59175, MHG59142.
For other installations associated with the Second World War 6 inch battery site, see also
MHG35180, MHG35177, MHG35179, MHG35981, MHG35183, MHG38497, MHG46669, MHG59141, MHG59174, MHG59896, MHG59178, MHG34271, MHG35182.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 252690.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 552, 554. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 81850 68935 (34m by 41m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG46670 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/252690 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.