MHG4681 - BA Flat Bronze Axehead - Kinveachy
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A type Ba flat bronze axe 'from Kinveachy, Boat of Garten' (Kinveachy: houses at NH 911 182) is in Inverness Museum.
J M Coles 1971. <1>
Susan Kruse from ARCH notes that Inverness Museum has checked their accession records and found that this record and MHG25270 refer to the same find. <2>
Before revoking one of the records the references need to be checked. Between the HER records and the two records in Canmore three different page numbers are cited from Schmidt and Burgess 1981. <3>
This axehead was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <4>
- --- SHG3000 Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 257.
- <1> SHG1474 Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 82.
- <2> SHG25666 Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Boat of Garten. Yes. Digital. Site 36.
- <3> SHG23297 Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 02/03/2012.
- <4> SHG28012 Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 29.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9100 1800 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15395 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.