MHG4685 - Bronze Flat Axeheads - Knockgranish, Aviemore
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A bronze flat axe was found in 1982 just beneath the ground surface beside a boulder. It measures 130mm in length, 58mm blade width, 35mm butt width and is at most 9mm thick.Donated to Inverness Museum. (INVMG 1982.087). <1>
One of three early Bronze Age axeheads from the Aviemore area. All three are in Inverness Museum. <2>
The axehead accession 1982.087 was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. A second axehead was also found within Inverness Museum collections from the same location (2003.109). Both were assigned Early Bronze Age dates. <3> <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Cowie, T. 2004. Special places for special axes? Early Bronze Age metalwork from Scotland in its landscape setting. In: Scotland in ancient Europe: the Neolithic and early Bronze Age of Scotland in their European context. Soc Antiq Scot Monograph Ser. 247-261. Digital. pp. 255, 258.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Harden, G. 1985. 'Knockgranish (Duthil and Rothiemurches p) bronxe flat axe', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1985, p.23. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 23. 23.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Boat of Garten. Yes. Digital. Site 38.
- <3> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 30-31, H3.
- <4> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 1982.087, 2003.109.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9119 1509 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15391 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.