MHG46853 - Skye, Isleornsay Harbour Quay, Well
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- WELL (Undated)
- None recorded
Pier, c.1805 - a drystone quay, with rare survival of hand crane and well. Various dockside buildings, restored and gentrified in the 1990s, have ball finials and architraved windows proclaiming their new status. These include:
Fearann Eilean Iarmain, converted from the former Isle Ornsay General Stores of c.1812 - the 'biggest shop between Skye and Glasgow' - to a smart office, and Gallery, the former grainstore converted by Alastair Alldridge of Wittets Architects. Seaflushing lavatory, 19th century, a pyramidroofed gazebo, converted as a doocot, 1990s, but retaining its original function and fittings.
Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 70247 12542 (20m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/253787 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.