MHG4689 - Tor Beag Fort
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FORT (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC? to 900 AD?)
Access Audit 124 - HAW 11/2003
See Report No. 85 (site 3) - Archaeological Management Plan for Avielochan Farm by T Rees, AOC, 1996.
J Aitken: 21/09/04
NH91NW 13 9052 1721.
(Area NH 905 171) On Tor Beag, a rocky promontory, is a once strong stone-walled fort measuring internally about 220' by 80' within a ruinous wall enclosing the summit. Some 20' below summit level is a second line of defence mostly represented by a terrace. At the approach to the fort, along a narrow neck, is an outer wall of massive boulders (Feachem 1963).
Many flint arrowheads have been found in the neighbourhood (Grant 1885).
A Grant 1885; C G Cash 1910; R W Feachem 1963.
At NH 9052 1721, are the overgrown remains of a fort, the situation and dimensions of which are as described by Feachem. All that remains of the inner wall is a short tumbled stretch on either side of the entrance, showing one or two outer facing stones but insufficient remains to determine the wall thickness. The terrace forming the second line of defence, is visible for most of its periphery, save on the SE where it is obliterated by soil creep. On both sides of the entrance it is strengthened by a boulder faced wall spread to c. 3.5m. Outside this, to the S of the entrance, is a breastwork of similar construction, whilst on the other side of the entrance a ruined wall extends for a distance of c. 14.0m along the approach. The interior is featureless.
No further information regarding flint arrowheads.
Visited by OS (R L) 23 September 1969.
This site was included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Grant. 1885. 'Stone circles and other ancient remains in Strathspey', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 1 1875-80, p.53-60. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 53-60. 59.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Cash, C G. 1910. 'Archaeological notes from Aviemore', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 44 1909-10, p.189-203. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 189-203. 194-7; plan, illust..
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rees, T. 1996. Archaeological Management Plan for Avielochan Farm, Highland.. AOC (Scotland) Ltd. 01/05/1996. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Feachem, R W. 1963. A Guide to Prehistoric Scotland. 1st. 128.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2913.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9051 1722 (85m by 129m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2913.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4157 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15387 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.