MHG47252 - Baemore
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (27/05/2004)
NH43SW 46 4156 3065
This farmstead comprises three buildings standing on the N, W and S sides of a subrectangular yard, and a stackyard to the N of the N building. The S building is now a refurbished house, and the W building is an outhouse with a corrugated tin roof. The N building, however, is roofless. It measures 9.1m from E to W by 3.2m transversely within mortared rubble walls 0.5m thick and up to 1.7m high. There are two entrances in the S side and a drain runs along the outer face of the N wall. A tree and a patch of nettles are growing within the building. The stackyard contains at least four stack bases.
A farmstead, possibly including the roofless building described above, is depicted at this location on James Thomson's 1833 'Plan of the Estate of Lakefield' (National Archives of Scotland RHP 23996). All three buildings are shown roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet xxviii). This map applies the name Baemore both to the farmstead described here and to another building about 150m to the S at NH 4158 3048 (now built over); the Name Book (ONB 1871) describes them as 'two small farm houses situated adjacent to the cottage known as Barnock Lodge, they are one storey high, thatched and in fair repair'.
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 9 October 1997
<1> RCAHMS, 02/2008, Annual update from Canmore, 259335 (Dataset). SHG24123.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4155 3065 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/259335 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.