MHG47269 - Camault
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (02/06/2004)
NH43SW 63 4337 3147
This farmstead, on the W bank of the Camault Burn, comprises two rectangular buildings and an enclosure. The larger building (URQ97 426) measures 16.8m from NE to SW by 3.4m transversely within rubble walls up to 0.5m high. It is divided into three compartments, the largest of which (at the SW end) appears to be a later extension, and there is an entrance in the SE side. A subrectangular yard is attached to the NW side of the building, and to the NE of the yard there is a second building (URQ97 427), measuring 7.7m by 2.1m within walls reduced to stony banks 0.3m high.
Two buildings, albeit with a layout different to those just described, are shown at roughly this location on George Brown's 1808 'Plan of the Davoch of Inchbreen' (National Archives of Scotland, RHP 11955). The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet xxviii), which names the site Camault, depicts the larger building and the yard, together with another building to the SE, though no remains of the latter can be seen. The Name Book (ONB 1871) describes Camault as 'a small farmsteading one storey high thatched and in very poor repair'. The 2nd edition of the map (Inverness-shire 1904, sheet xxviii) also depicts the larger building, by then roofed only at its NE end, and the small building to the NE (URQ97 427), is also shown roofed.
Visited by RCAHMS (PM) 26 September 1997
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4336 3146 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/259380 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.