MHG47277 - Upper Gartally
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (04/06/2004)
NH43SE 53 49115 31075
This farmstead comprises the overgrown remains of two long buildings, respectively measuring 17.2m by 3.9m (URQ97 96) and 25.5m by 3.6m (URQ97 97) internally, which have been incorporated into a sheepfold. There is a horse-engine platform against the NE side of the former. The locations of these buildings correspond with two of six buildings shown as roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet XXIX), but the horse-engine is not depicted.
The map names the site Upper Gartally, which is described in the OS Object Name Book as 'three or four small thatched houses ... formerly a separate farmsteading but is now annexed to the farm of Lower Gartally. The houses are used as cot and office houses but still retain the former name. They are in middling repair' (ONB 1871). A township, one of two named Gartalie, and comprising six buildings and an enclosure, is depicted at this location on George Brown's 1808 Plan of the Davoch of Gartally (National Archives of Scotland, RHP 11954).
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 8 October 1997
|Grid reference||NH 49114 31075 (point)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/259493 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.