MHG47347 - Brachyriach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (25/06/2004)
NH53SW 64 51208 31466
This farmstead is situated on the end of a spur to the E of Garbeg. It comprises the faced rubble footings of two buildings and a kiln clustered around a roofed but derelict cottage which lies within traces of a robbed enclosure. The buildings (URQ97 239, 240) respectively measure 7.4m by 3.8m and 11.3m by 3.5m internally; both are aligned from E to W with an entrance on the S. The robbed footings of a building extend for a distance of 9m beyond the W end of the smaller building. The bowl of the kiln is set into a ridge to the S of the buildings and measures 2.5m in diameter within stone footings 1m in thickness. The flue is on the NNE and opens into the remains of what may be a barn. The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xxix) depicts four roofed buildings disposed around a yard. The OS ONB (1871) records Brachyriach as a 'small farmhouse one storey and thatched with small outstanding office houses also one storey and thatched they are in middling repair'.
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 4 September 1997
|Grid reference||Centred NH 51208 31466 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/260437 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.