MHG47673 - Pillbox - North Sutor, Coast Battery
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- PILLBOX (First World War to Second World War - 1914 AD? to 1945 AD)
A type 25 (circular) pillbox which was formerly situated at the gate/entrance to the battery complex has now been removed and lies next to the building at NH 81984 68986. The pillbox in the original position is visible on a RAF vertical air photograph (106G/UK751, 6039, flown 31 August 1945.)
Visited by RCAHMS, (DE, SW), August 2000
A pillbox lying face down was removed from its original location next to the entrance gate and been dumped between the RA storehouse and the No.2 Gun house. The pillbox is open at the rear and has only three facets to the front. Wrongly identified as a type 25 pillbox this is identical to the other pillbox recorded at the battery (see MHG59782). With its unusual construction and thin walls it may be that this is a First World War blockhouse (pillbox).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 29 July 2013.
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. This represents the original location of the structure as indicated by RAF air photography (106G/UK751, 6039, flown 31 August 1945). <1>
The North Sutor camps, batteries and associated buildings and features were scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 26/03/2019. <2>
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 267348.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. Site 238, 239. XY
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13570: North Sutor Battery, batteries and camps. Historic Environment Scotland. 27/03/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 81964 68999 (4m by 2m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13570 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/267348 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.