MHG47695 - Bettyhill, Fishing Station, Icehouse
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ICEHOUSE (19th Century - 1846 AD to 1900 AD)
NMRS Report: (02/11/2004)
NC66SE 38 69979 62100
NC66SE 39 69971 62115 Dwelling House
NC66SE 40 69962 62129 Boilhouse <1>
Part of the fishing station complex at Bettyhill.
ICE HOUSE: asymmetrical W gable with entrance door centred on gablehead and retaining wing-wall at right. Interior; flagstone floors, barrel-vaulted entrance chamber leading to barrel-vaulted main space with 2 ice-loading doors to vault; modern refrigeration plant to rear of main space (2003). The icehouse was built in 1846, 36 years after the boil house had been built, due to increased productivity. <2><3>
A rope maker said to be from the Ice House is on display in Strathnaver Museum. <4>
- <1> SHG24123 Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 267698.
- <2> SHG24041 Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 49634.
- <3> SHG23467 Verbal Communication: Cameron, K. Comment by Kirsty Cameron, HC Archaeologist.
- <4> SHG28504 Collection/Finds Collection: 2019. Finds Collection at Strathnaver Museum.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 69979 62101 (12m by 13m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB49634 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/267698 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.