MHG47788 - Newlands Of Geise, Geise 'Y' Service Intercept Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RADIO STATION (Second World War to 21st Century - 1939 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (05/11/2004)
ND06NE 78 centred 0977 6517
Part of this Radio Station falls on map sheet ND06SE
A War Office 'Y' Intercept Station is situated in two fields E of the Burn of Geise and W of the B870 public road. Two receiver huts, one a reserve, within circular compounds. In addition there is a three compartment concrete building beside the road (ND 0994 6480) which is of postwar construction.
Much of the site has been demolished, but the two circular compounds are depicted on the OS 1:10560 and 1:10000 scale maps (1969 and 1975 respectively).
The WW II station was situated in the field immediately to the N (centred ND 0960 6530) and is visible on RAF vertical air photographs (106G/Scot/UK 75, 4385-4386, flown 9 May 1946), which shows at least six, possibly seven, small mast bases. The postwar station is visible on OS imagery (OS/65/78, 022-023, flown 13 May 1965).
Information from RCAHMS (DE), November 2004; Defence of Britain Project form, (A Gutteridge), 1986 <1>
Information and photographs received from Martin Briscoe concerning the Radio Station at this site. The post-WWII CSO (Composite Signals Organisation) station is centred on the the antenna and wooden buildings of the present garden centre. There were more buildings and antenna behind Mossburn (ND 098647) and there are still traces of various antenna bases etc in the field behind there.
It was suggested that the WWII site was either South of Mossburn or between the two sites.
The building at the side of the road at Mossburn (NO099647), that is now used as a cattery, had three rooms – office, workshop and generator room. It was part of the post-WWII CSOS site, when it closed some of the staff moved to the main site at Bowermadden. <2><3>
The HER map of the site was updated to reflect the postitions of the two circular compounds shown on the OS 1:10560 and 1:10000 scale maps (1969 and 1975 respectively), and incorporating the wooden buildings and antenna of the garden centre, and the office and workshop at ND 099 647. <4>
One of the circular mast enclosures, shown on 1960s and 1970s mapping, is visible on modern aerial photography.<5>
- <1> Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 268047.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. J M Briscoe, 13/09/2010.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
- <5> Dataset/Geospatial Data: ESRI. ESRI World Imagery.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0982 6490 (307m by 599m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/268047 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.