MHG48021 - Farmstead, Jubidale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD to 1872 AD)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (19/07/2005)
ND34SW 153 33034 42082
Little is visible of this farmsteading, which stood in what is now a field of rough pasture. Two of the three buildings depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xxix) had probably been removed before 1907, but the footings of the NW corner of the third are still visible. This building, which lay immediately S of the other two, is shown roofed on the 2nd edition of the map (1907, sheet xxix).
Jubidale is described in the Ordnance Survey Name Book (Caithness No. 13, p. 260) as a `crofter's dwelling in the occupation of Donald Reid and the property of `A. Sharp Esq, Bruan Lodge'.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 25 August 2004
Two buildings in this farmstead survived until at least 1976. Although only one building is shown on the 2nd edition 6" OS map (as described above), the 2nd edition 25" map shows one roofed and one unroofed building in the farmstead. This picture is repeated on later editions of OS mapping including the 1:10,560 c.1976 (5c edition) and both buildings can be seen on aerial photographs from 1946 (Sortie 106G/UK/0076 Photo No 4279). Most of the access track leading to the farmstead was also utilised for the main access to the CHL radar station situated at Hill of Ulbster <1>.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 33033 42081 (20m by 20m) (2 map features)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/270786 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.