MHG4849 - Vatten North
A prominent, probably chambered, cairn with kerb stones surviving on the eastern side.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NG24SE 6 2979 4408.
(NG 2979 4408) Cairn (NR).
OS 6"map, (1969)
A prominent, probably chambered cairn about 20' high and 90' in diameter, of relatively small, rounded boulders, partly turf-covered. There has been some robbing and disturbance, especially on the SW side near the top, but this appears to be quite superficial. The sides are steep, but the angle becomes more gentle near the edges giving the cairn a slightly bell-shaped profile. At the very edge of the cairn there is a kerb of stones, set either flat or on their long edges. The kerb-stones appear to have been contiguous originally, and remain so on the NE segment. Kerb-stones at short intervals can be traced round most of the east half and occasionally round the rest of the cairn. The stones seem to have varied considerably in size; the largest is 3' 2" high and about 6' long and others are 4' long, but some are relatively small. The profile of the cairn and the fact that the cairn material does not appear to have fallen outside the kerb suggests that the kerb originally edged a platform extending beyond the actual edge of the cairn.
Another cairn showing some constructional similarities and probably chambered lies to the south (NG24SE 12).
RCAHMS 1928; Information from MS of A S Henshall's 'Chambered Tombs of Scotland' Vol. 2, visited 24 October 1962.
A probably chambered cairn measuring c.30.0m in diameter and c.5.0m high, otherwise as described by Henshall.
Visited by OS (R L) 12 October 1971.
Site visited and photographed by Mr & Mrs M McGuire, 7/10/03. The Highland Archaeology Challenge. See assoc. docs. File and CD for Photographic Record.
J Aikten: 21/1/03.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rees, T. 1996. Archaeological Management Plan for Avielochan Farm, Highland.. AOC (Scotland) Ltd. 01/05/1996. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 164, No. 524.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 2979 4408 (42m by 41m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM893 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1335101 (View photograph(s) of this site on the geograph website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/10862 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.