MHG48600 - Findspot of Roman dipper and possible associated features, Auldearn
The findspot of a Roman bronze dipper which upon investigation revealed features suggesting possible archaeological deposits.
Type and Period (2)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 79 AD to 409 AD)
- SITE? (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
Fragmentary Roman sheet and cast bronze dipper found while metal detecting around Auldearn. Subsequent excavation in the area of the findspot by Fraser Hunter (NMS) uncovered features that may indicate a possible site, including the floor of a house. This potential site may be similar to Birnie, near Elgin, currently being excavated. Declared Treasure Trove (TT 80/03) and allocated to Inverness Museum.
A Heald 2004. <1>
The work was very small scale, essentially an evening's trial pitting at and around the findspot. The trial pitting revealed that there are archaeological remains on the site, however there is no written report as yet. A local volunteer fieldwalked the area after ploughing with no significant finds. However it is believed there may have been a settlement here. <2>
See attached TT summary sheet. Listed under Acc. No. 2004.026 in the IMAG catalogue. <3> <4> <5>
Inverness Museum archive files contains a map of the findspot and a photo of the dipper in situ. <6>
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Auldearn. Yes. Site 14.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Heald, A.. 2004. 'Auldearn (Auldearn parish), Roman dipper', Discovery Excav Scot, vol. 5. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 69. Online. 69.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Hunter, F. 02/2012. Email correspondence between Kirsty Cameron, Highland Council Archaeologist, and Dr Fraser Hunter, National Museums Scotland. Digital.
- <3> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 80/03.
- <4> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 80/03.
- <5> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 2004.026.
- <6> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 2004.026.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 92 56 (1000m by 1000m)|
- LADLE (Roman - 79 AD to 409 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/273589 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.