MHG4865 - BA Spearhead, Bracadale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
(Information contained in letter and annotated 6"map by J Close-Brooks to OS, 18 May 1976) A large, leaf-shaped Bronze Age spearhead was found sticking out of a peat bank about two feet down in the peat about 1972 by Mr A MacDonald, Paisley Hill, Struan, Skye. It was purchased for the NMAS in 1976 (Acc No: DG 114).
J Close-Brook 1978; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1978.
Described in the NMS catalogue asbronze spearhead with a damaged blade and the socket broken off. Listed under Acc. No. DG 114. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Close-Brooks, J. 1978. 'New finds of late Bronze-Age spearheads from Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 107 1975-6, p.310-13. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 310-13. 311-12.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1978. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 107 1975-6, p.333-40. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 333-40. 336; illust.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DG 114.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3469 3845 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- SPEARHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-188-168-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11058 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.