MHG4868 - Ullinish Lodge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NG33NW 1 3237 3791.
(NG 3237 3791) Chambered Cairn (NR)
OS 6map, (1969)
A much-robbed Hebridean-type chambered cairn 6' in maximum height and turf-covered, the edge quite clear, with a diameter of 80'. The ground is rather uneven and it is likely that the chamber has been built on a slight rise and that there is less cairn material round it than there appears to be.
The pear-shaped chamber, 17' long by 10'3" wide of massive split blocks is entered from the ESE. A single stone, 3'4" SE of the chamber and set parallel to its axis, can just be seen. It probably represents part of the S side of either an ante-chamber or passage. It is 24' from the cairn edge on the ESE side.
RCAHMS 1928; A S Henshall 1972, visited 1962.
A chambered cairn, generally as described and planned.
Resurveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (R L) 14 October 1971.
RCAHMS, 1928, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles, 147-8, No. 493; plan fig. 209; illust. fig. 238 (Text/Report). SHG2656.
Henshall, A S, 1972, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2, 490, SKY 10 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG358.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 147-8, No. 493; plan fig. 209; illust. fig. 238.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 490, SKY 10.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3237 3791 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:903 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM903 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11055 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.