MHG48815 - Avoch, Gallowburnside (Toll Farm)

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NMRS Report: (29/09/2005)
NH65NE 29 69977 55112

This site was recorded here as part of an archaeological desktop and walkover survey ahead of a water main renewal project. An L-shaped roofed building is present on the 1st edition OS map (1870s) It is not marked on the 2nd edition OS map (1905) or any later map. It was recorded in the Ordnance Survey Name Book as a single-storey thatched farm house with a small thatched office house. Nothing is visible on any aerial photographs studied.
S Farrell 2004 <1>

Information from a participant in the Black Isles Heritage Memories project; this was replaced by housing and a school in the 1930s. The stones from this farm was used in the construction of Nos. 6 & 8 Toll Road, and Nos. 1 & 3. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 69979 55114 (36m by 13m)
Map sheet NH65NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish AVOCH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.