MHG48859 - Site of farmstead, Achingills
The site of a farmstead which is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1872.
Type and Period (3)
- ENCLOSURE (Constructed, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD to 1872 AD (at some time))
- FARMSTEAD (Constructed, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD to 1877 AD (at some time))
- LONGHOUSE (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD to 1872 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (06/10/2005)
ND16SE 99 15185 62722
The ruins of a cottage and an adjacent enclosure have been recorded on oblique aerial photographs (RCAHMSAP 2002).
Information from RCAHMS (DCC) 3 October 2005 <1>
A farmstead is depicted here on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1872, comprising a longhouse and associated structures with a square enclosure to the north. Part of the longhouse survived as an unroofed ruin in 2009. <2>
Photographs of this building were submitted to the HER in March 2009 prior to its demolition. <3>
- <1> Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 275697.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-3. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-72). Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Williamson, C. 2009. Photographs of Achingills Farm, Halkirk. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 15180 62730 (63m by 67m) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/275697 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.