MHG48960 - Peace Cairn, The Parade, Fort William
A memorial built in 1985 for Lochaber District Council by Jim Sanderson.
Type and Period (1)
- WAR MEMORIAL (20th Century - 1985 AD to 1985 AD)
- None recorded
Mounted on stones from the old fort, the Peace Cairn incorporates the bellcote from the former Town Hall in Cameron Square, which was destroyed by fire in 1975. <1><2>
The NMRS gives an incorrect grid reference for this site. Martin Briscoe has supplied a GPS reading for the cairn's location. <3>
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe in July 2011 via the Highland HER Flickr group.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <1> Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 276179.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 276179.
- <3> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. M Brisoce, 01/05/2009.
|Grid reference||NN 10408 74045 (point)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/276179 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site (276179))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/276973 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site (276973))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.