MHG4900 - Loch Na H-Airde
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
Thumbnail Photo by J Duberley, 23/07/02.
There is a group of footings visible in this area. This community could have been responsible for the 'Viking Canal' nearby - see NG31NE0008.
JW visited in the company of M.Wildgoose, S.Birch and M.Carmichael on 30/5/02.
NG31NE 3 393 160.
(NG 393 160) Unnamed depopulated area deserted by 1877. (OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 1st ed., (1877)
Visited by OS (A C) 20 January 1961.
There is a depopulated township scattered about the South Western side of Loch an h-Airde comprising about 4 houses and about 8 smaller buildings. Mr MacAskill (J MacAskill, Drynoch), aged 88 years, formerly of Glen Brittle, considers it probable that it was the settlement of the fishing community who used the loch as a harbour.
Visited by OS (C F W) 9 April 1961.
A township, comprising eight unroofed buildings and one enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Isle of Skye 1881, sheet xlix). Nine unroofed buildings and one enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1986).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 14 November 1996.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3931 1604 (299m by 291m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11023 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.