MHG49087 - Strathmashie Forest, Black Wood Hamlets 1

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (3)

  • BUILDING (Undated)
  • ENCLOSURE (Undated)
  • TRACK (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NMRS Report: (16/11/2005)
NN59SE 32 5709 9081

The remains of a rectangular building was recorded here during a detailed desktop and walkover survey of Strathmashie Forest ahead of a proposed heritage trail. Enough archaeological features were found to make the trail worthwhile. The building measures 3.3m x 2.3m internally and the NE wall stands to 1.4m in height. A blocked up window with surviving lintel stone is present on the SE side. It is thought the building was abandoned in around 1931. A linear sunken area which was a track is visible to the NW of the building. A small collapsed dyke once formed an enclosure close to the building.
D Sneddon 2005


<1> RCAHMS, 02/2008, Annual update from Canmore, 276772 (Dataset). SHG24123.

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NN 5708 9080 (20m by 20m)
Map sheet NN59SE
Civil Parish LAGGAN
Geographical Area BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.