MHG49176 - Strathmashie Forest, St Michael's Chapel
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- CHAPEL (Undated)
- WELL (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) HOLY WELL? (Undated)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (24/11/2005)
NN59SE 55 5838 9333
Located on a flat open area of ground is the site of the former St Michael's Chapel. It was recorded here during a detailed archaeological survey of Strathmashie Community Forest near Laggan, Highland. Currently the site consists of a cluster of yew trees at the southern end of the site and a drystone retaining wall running N-S along the southern edge of the site. There is a vast quantity of rubble consisting of large dressed stones and mortar. This rubble is the remains of the chapel, which was bulldozed in 1955/6. Around 15m to the SW is a small stone-lined spring up to 0.8m in depth. The survey was carried out to assess the evidence for past human use and to ascertain whether there was enough archaeology to develop a heritage trail in the forest.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 5838 9333 (20m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/277189 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)