MHG49233 - Site of Bellsgrove Lodge, Strontian

Summary

Built for the manager of the Strontian Mining Company c.1850, this building became a hunting lodge at some time after 1856.

Type and Period (2)

  • HUNTING LODGE (In use, 19th Century - 1856 AD to 1856 AD (post))
  • MANAGERS HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD to 1850 AD (circa))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NMRS Report: (06/12/2005)
NM86NW 39 83130 85272 <1>

The house was built c.1850 for John Barratt, manager of the Strontian Mining Company. After 1856 it reverted to the estate and became a shooting lodge. <2>

It is said in <2> that Sir Humphrey Davy worked here on his miners' safety lamp and mineralisation. This could not have taken place in this building, however, since Sir Humphrey died in 1829. Presumably it was within the mining complex, which is famed for being the place where Sir Humphrey isolated the chemical element strontium. <3>

Photographs of this building were submitted to the HER prior to its proposed demolition in connection with planning consent for a replacement house. The developer informs us that a photographic record of the building has also been taken by RCAHMS. <4>

The photographic record mentioned in <4> does not appear to be accessible via Canmore however RCAHMS does hold photographs of the building in the Iain Thornber collection. These can be viewed in the Search Room in Edinburgh (see Canmore record for details). <5>

Iain Thornber has provided additional information about this building. When in use as a shooting lodge the building housed one of two estate gamekeepers. The last resident keeper to live there was Roderick MacDonald, or "Rory", who is buried in the graveyard by the parish church. The building, along with the whole of the Sunart Estate, was sold to the Board of Agriculture for Scotland in 1920 who leased it out and then sold it to a Mr Buchan Watt in the early 1960s.
Five photographs of the lodge were also submitted to the HER including historic and modern views of the house. The photographs are held offline but copies can be provided on request for personal use. <6>


<1> RCAHMS, 02/2008, Annual update from Canmore, 277524 (Dataset). SHG24123.


<2> Miers, M., 2008, The Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide, p 98 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG24310.


<3> Tilbury, S, Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer, 12/11/2009 (Verbal Communication). SHG23297.


<4> Blanchard, M A, 2008, Photographs of Bellsgrove Lodge, Strontian (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24537.


<5> RCAHMS, Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), 277524 (Interactive Resource/Online Database). SHG23282.


<6> Thornber, I, Information and photographs, Barratt's House, Strontian (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25473.

Sources/Archives (6)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NM 83130 65271 (21m by 21m) (Centred)
Map sheet NM86NW
Civil Parish ARDNAMURCHAN
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.