MHG49288 - Inverness, Dalcross Airfield
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- AIRCRAFT HANGAR (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (02/05/2006)
NH75SE 31.02 76468 51987 and 76459 51912
Two modified Bellman Hangars are situated immediately NW of the passenger terminal building at Inverness Airport. The hangars measure about 54m by 20m overall.
Bellman hangars originate from a 1936 design by the Directorate of Works engineer Mr N S Bellman. They were built to allow erection by unskilled people using little equipment. The commercial rights were taken over by Head, Wrightson and Company of Teesdale Iron Works in Yorkshire. Constructed of steel sections and units they could be erected in a very short time. Later versions were provided with steel doors. and could be supplied in two sizes.
Information by RCAHMS (DE), January 2005
The Bellman hangars are still in use, both for light aircraft storage and repair (the hangar to the S) and general storage. Both have had their N doors modified. The hangars measure about 54m by 29m overall and are constructed with steel framing and corrugated iron sheeting. The hangar to the S has a air-raid siren attached to the outer door rail. at the N end. The hangar to the N has been internally sub-divided and retains a side office.
Both hangars are visible on RAF WW II vertical air photographs (NLA 57, 5069-5070, flown 21 February 1943), which show that at that date they had camouflaged roofs.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE), 27 April 2006
|Grid reference||Centred NH 76467 51987 (20m by 20m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/278101 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.