MHG49590 - Bunroy Mill - Roybridge, Lochaber
A C19 mill at Bunroy, Roy Bridge, Lochaber.
Type and Period (3)
- CORN MILL (19th Century to 20th Century - 1835 AD to 1901 AD)
- MILL HOUSE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1835 AD to 1901 AD)
- KILN (19th Century to 20th Century - 1835 AD to 1901 AD)
- None recorded
A mill appears on the 1st edition 6 inch OS Map and so dated to, at latest, c. 1870. The mill was most likely a corn mill as the word 'corn' appears below the mills name on the map. <1>
The building appears again on the 2nd edition 6 inch OS Map as 'mill croft'. The building appears to have either changed function or have dual function as both a mill and a croft. <2>
"At Bunroy, below Henry Burrell's School of 1876, a ruined 18th-century Mill in the woods near the river - L-plan, rubble with ashlar frontage, still with its stone-lined lade and wheel. Above [the mill is], Miller's House, probably by John Rhind, 1870/2, incorporates an earlier cottage in its rear wing. It is unusual in having been built by the laird (Mackintosh) as a retirement home for local priest Father Donald Forbes, becoming the miller's house after his death." <3>
The site was subject to a DBA, a photographic survey and a field record by M Hoole in April 2014. Research revealed that the site was constructed in c.1835 and was intended to include a kiln. It was used as either a meal or a corn mill (potentially as both at different times) and was last known in use when rented by a Mr Donald MacPherson in 1901 for a total of £10-00 rent a year. The site showed signs of robbing and was in a state of ruin at the time of the investigation. Although the mill stones have been abandoned and remain in situ, they may be in danger of being removed from the site. A measured site plan and an archaeological illustration of one of the millstones was produced. <4>
- --- Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 280705.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Miers, M.. 2008. The Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paperback. p 43.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Hoole, M. 2014. DBA, photographic survey and field recording: Bunroy Mill - Roy Bridge, Lochaber. Unaffiliated. 26/05/2014. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 27530 80589 (12m by 9m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/280705 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.