MHG49592 - Iain Lom Monument, Cille Choirill
A monument to Iain Lom (c.1625-1710), poet laureate to Charles II and known as the Bard of Keppoch.
Type and Period (1)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Erected, 19th Century - 1873 AD to 1873 AD)
- None recorded
Monument to Iain Lom by John Rhind, 1873, consisting of a monolithic slab carved with a Celtic cross and stylised floral decoration. His body lies further up the brae.
Mary Miers' book "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide" provides some more background information about the subject of this memorial: "The Bard of Keppoch, Iain Lom (Cutting John) Macdonald was poet laureate to Charles II. A close kinsman of the Keppoch chiefs, he was involved in many of the historic events of his day, bringing them to life in his verse. One famous example of his work is 'Latha Inbhir Lochaidh' (Inverlochy Day) which gives a spirited account of battle of Inverlochy of 1645. He was also involved in avenging the Keppoch murders - see his poem 'Murt na Ceapaich'. <1><2>
Martin Briscoe notes that this monument lies just to the south of the church door and has provided an updated grid reference. <3>
Martin Briscoe has submitted photos of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <4>
<1> RCAHMS, Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), 280712 (Interactive Resource/Online Database). SHG23282.
<2> Miers, M., 2008, The Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide, pp 44, 73 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG24310.
<3> Private individual, 2008-11, Feedback from website visitor, Martin Briscoe, 04/11/2011 (Text/Correspondence). SHG22709.
<4> Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 280712.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Miers, M.. 2008. The Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paperback. pp 44, 73.
- <3> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Martin Briscoe, 04/11/2011.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||NN 3069 8120 (point)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG49592 (Images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/280712 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.