MHG49597 - Drill Hall, Loanfern, Ballachulish


A former mechanics institute/drill hall built c.1870.

Type and Period (3)

  • DRILL HALL (19th Century - 1870 AD to 1870 AD)
  • MECHANICS INSTITUTE (Built, 19th Century - 1870 AD to 1870 AD)
  • ACTIVITY CENTRE (In use, 20th Century to 21st Century - 1980 AD? to 2100 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The current building appears to be the north-eastern half of a former Mechanics Insitute, depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1872. <1>

The building was photographed by Martin Briscoe in January 2010. <2>

Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe in July 2011 via the Highland HER Flickr group. <3>

This building is first recorded as 'Mechanics Institute' on the 1st edition OS 1:2500 map (surveyed 1870) in a central position within the model housing estate of quarriers' cottages. On this map and on the 2nd edition the building (still labelled 'Mechanics Institute') comprised a central block with two wings, to NNE and SSW. Only the central block and the NNE wing survive.
This is the only building likely to have been used as a drill hall in the village, and was in 1914 the base for "F" Company, 8th battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. It does not appear contrary to Osborne (2006), to have been built originally as a drill hall.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <4> <5> <6>

Sources/Archives (6)



Grid reference Centred NN 08300 58243 (25m by 31m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NN05NE
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.