MHG49708 - Structure and Enclosure - Loch Kernsary
Structure and enclosure identified from 1998 Inverewe Estate survey.
Type and Period (3)
- STRUCTURE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SHIELING? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (21/08/2006 15:28:12)
NG88SE 48 8740 8095
An enclosed circular area, approximately 30m in diameter, at the NW end of Loch Kernsary. Possible field system or maybe grazing enclosure made of stone and turf.
Information by email from Terry Doe, 11 January 2006 <1>
A structure, enclosure and dyke were identified in a DBA and walkover survey undertaken by the National Trust for Scotland at their Inverewe Estate in 1998.
(INVG035)By the N shore of Loch Kernsary, by an un-named burn, there is a possible structure, perhaps a shieling site. To the NW on the steep slope below Meall an Leathaid Dharaich there is an irregular drystone enclosure wall c0.6m wide and c0.4m high around an area c50m by c60m.
To the E of the enclosure there is straight drystone dyke now partially turf covered, c1m wide and c0.5m high which runs NE-wards up the hillside from Loch Kernsary to the cliffs immediately below the hilltop, possibly forming part of the long earthen bank to the N (MHG58312).
The structures were masked by grass, bracken and heather and it is recommentded that a follow up visit is made to confirm the areacheological form of these structures, in addition to a bracken management programme being implemented and a photo taken once evey five years. <2>
The enclosure is visible on aerial photography captured 1999-2001 and 2009. <3> <4>
The dyke described above is likely to be part of one long dyke connecting several lochs, and can therefore be considered as part of this dyke (see MHG58312), and is shown as one long linear feature on the map, separate from this record.
- <1> SHG24123 Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 282327. XY
- <2> SHG20987 Text/Report: Harden J. Inverewe Archaeological Survey 1998. Archaeological Services. .
- <3> SHG27491 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <4> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8741 8100 (50m by 132m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/282327 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.