MHG49766 - Approximate findspot of medieval buckle - Auldearn
The approximate findspot of a Romanesque zoomorphic buckle dating from the late 12th/early 13th centuries, now in the Inverness Museum.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Norse - 1150 AD? to 1250 AD?)
- None recorded
Romanesque zoomorphic buckle (NMS) NH 41 56 Fine late 12th/early 13th-century solid copper-alloy D-shaped buckle, with animal heads cast in the round depicted biting either end of the buckle bar; recovered by metal detecting. The style is typically Romanesque and few small metal objects of this period and this quality remain intact in Scotland, making this a significant find. Dimensions 51 x 28.5mm.
Claimed as Treasure Trove (TT.58/04) and allocated to Inverness Museum.
J Shiels 2005 <1> <2>
See attached TT report. Listed under Acc. No. 2005.011.001 in the IMAG catalogue. <3> <4> <5>
There is an error in the TT and DES grid reference. NH 41 56 is location near the River Conon, not far from Contin. NH 91 56 is a location not far from Auldearn and is likely to be the true grid reference, and the former the result of a typo. GW 07/02/20
- <1> SHG28280 Text/Publication/Article: Shiels, J. 2005. 'Auldearn, Highland (Contin parish), Romanesque zoomorphic buckle', Discovery Excav Scot, vol. 6. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. Online. pp. 78.
- <2> SHG25449 Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Auldearn. Yes. Site 16.
- <3> SHG28370 Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 58/04. XY
- <4> SHG28208 Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 58/04.
- <5> SHG25836 Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 2005.011.001.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 91 56 (60m by 60m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- BUCKLE (Norse - 1150 AD? to 1250 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/282710 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.