MHG49767 - Anglo-Saxon Mount - Dornoch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Medieval - 561 AD? to 1057 AD?)
- None recorded
7th-century Anglo-Saxon mount. Approximately one-third of a substantial Anglo-Saxon Style II copper-alloy gilded mount, depicting running interlocked beasts as at Sutton Hoo, Caenby and Durrow; recovered by metal detecting. An identical example from Allington Hill, Cambridge is in the collections of the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford. Dimensions 56.4 x 37.5mm; diam of rim boss 8.4mm; diam of central boss 5mm. Claimed as Treasure Trove (TT.39/05) and allocated to Inverness Museum. <1>
See attached TT artefact report. <2>
Listed under Acc. No. 2006.004.001 in the IMAG catalogue. <3>
The disc mount is discussed in A. Blackwell's PhD thesis. <4>
Four figure grid reference given is marginal. A more detailed GR for the mount is held by Treasure Trove. GW 17/07/20
- --- Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 39/05.
- --- Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 2006.004.001.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Youngs, S. 2005. 'Dornoch, Highland (Dornoch parish), 7th-century Anglo-Saxon mount', Discovery Excav Scot, vol. 6. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 80. Online. pp. 80.
- <2> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 39/05.
- <3> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 2006.004.001.
- <4> Text/Publication: Blackwell, A.. 2018. A reassessment of the Anglo-Saxon artefacts from Scotland: material interactions and identities in early medieval northern Britain. PhD thesis, University of Glasgow. University of Glasgow. Digital. A018.
|Grid reference||NH 78 90 (point)|
- MOUNT (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/282711 (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.