MHG49770 - Bronze Dagger Fragments - Tarradale
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) SITE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH 55 50 Early Bronze Age dagger fragments. Corroded fragments of copper alloy, representing portions of least two knife or dagger blades of Early Bronze Age date, were discovered by Mr Charles Coston on the steep southern slope of the knoll occupied by the chambered cairn, Clachan More na Taradin (NH54NW 123). A trial trench excavated over the immediate area of the findspot confirmed that the fragments had lain within sandy soil and stones much disturbed by animal and
tree root activity. The stones most likely represent the remains of the spread of cairn material on the slope, beyond the presumptive line of any revetment or kerb.
The fragments are small and highly corroded, and few of the pieces retain any traces of their original edges. However, the condition and apparently flattened cross-sections of the blades are suggestive of an Early Bronze Age date, and this was reinforced by analysis of the metal. While it is possible that the dagger fragments could derive from a disturbed burial, it is equally likely, given that more than one blade appears to be present, that the fragments derive from a disturbed metalwork deposit. <1>
These dagger fragments were catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock&District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <2>
The dagger fragments were submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 36/05) and allocated to Inverness Museum. They are listed under Acc. Nos. 2007.006.001-013. <3> <4>
Four figure grid reference given is marginal. A more detailed GR for the dagger fragments is held by Treasure Trove. GW 10/07/20
- --- Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 2007.006.001-013.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Cowie, T & Coston, C. 2005. 'Early Bronze Age Dagger Fragments, Tarradale,' Discovery Excav Scot, New Series, vol. 5. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 83-118. Digital. 83.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 49.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 36/05.
- <4> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 36/05.
|Grid reference||NH 55 50 (point)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- DAGGER (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/282714 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.