MHG49846 - Sliabhclachd
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- KILN BARN (Undated)
- FARMHOUSE (Undated)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (20/02/2007 10:26:49)
NJ02SE 29 NJ 06997 20087
This former farmsteading, now in use as a private residence, contains a cottage that is still occupied, and a range immediately N that is still in use, partly as a kennel, and these were not recorded in detail on the date of visit. In addition there is a range immediately SE of the cottage that has largely collapsed and its interior choked with rubble. However, its N gable still stands to a height of 2m and contains what appears to be cruck-slot in its inner face. Immediately N of this range is a building of which only the SE corner, reduced to footings, survives. A well-preserved kiln-barn stands 43m SE of the cottage. Rectangular on plan, it measures 11.3m from E to W by 4.5m over stone walls that survive to gable height at both ends. The building has been built on a short but steep W-facing slope, and the kiln occupies the lower part, its pot measuring 3.1m in diameter at the top, where there is a narrow ledge or scarcement. At the foot of the gable there is a low arched draw-hole, and the kiln is linked to the barn by a central doorway at the top of the E side of the pot. The barn has opposed doorways in its N and S sides, and there is a cruck-slot in the inner face of the S wall immediately E of the doorway.
All five buildings of this farmsteading are depicted roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet XLVIA). The Ordnance Survey Name Book (Inverness-shire, Book 2, p.17) records `Slibhclach' as `A farm steading, dwelling house and outhouses one storey high thatched and in tolerable repair, the property of the Earl of Seafield'.
Four buildings were still roofed at the end of the 19th century, only the building now represented by its SE corner being shown unroofed on the 2nd edition of the map (1902, sheet XLVIA).
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 22 August 2006.
|Grid reference||Centred NJ 06997 20086 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||ABERNETHY AND KINCARDINE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/282882 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.