MHG49914 - Croftmaquien
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (21/02/2007 09:48:51)
NJ02SW 69 NJ 0225 2109
Croftmaquien is no longer a working farm, but the farmhouse and one of the outbuildings have been converted into holiday accommodation; these buildings were not recorded in detail on the date of visit. As depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet XLVIA), the farmstead comprised six buildings, including the farmhouse at the NE end and a building containing a limekiln at the SW end. This depiction of a limekiln is probably erroneous, and the structure was probably a kiln-barn, though this cannot now be verified. Only four buildings are shown roofed on the 2nd edition of the map (1902, sheet XLVIA).
Croftmaqueen is recorded in the Ordnance Survey Name Book (Inverness-shire No. 1, p.50) as `a small farmsteading, dwelling house one storey with a few small offices one storey each, all thatched and in bad repair. Occupied by Mr William Murray. The property of the Earl of Seafield -- Castle Grant'.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 26 September 2006.
<1> RCAHMS, 02/2008, Annual update from Canmore, 283293 (Dataset). SHG24123.
|Grid reference||Centred NJ 0224 2108 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||ABERNETHY AND KINCARDINE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/283293 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.