MHG50023 - Achnagonalin
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- LIME KILN (Undated)
- QUARRY (Undated)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (21/02/2007 10:14:27)
NJ02NW 133 NJ 03270 26565
Two kilns, each reduced to little more than grass-grown hollows, are situated 300m N of Achnagonalin farmsteading, sandwiched between a municipal recycling plant to the N and an industrial estate to the S. The kilns have been set about 3m apart in the SE side of a roughly rectangular flat-topped mound, which measures 13.5m from NE to SW by 8.3m transversely by 1.2m in height. The NW side of the mound has been truncated by a track.
The kilns are not depicted on either the 1st or 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet XXXV; 1903, sheet XXXV). This probably means that they were already out of use by 1874, and they may have been replaced by two larger kilns (NJ02NW 134), the remains of which stand 40m to the NW.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 26 September 2006.
|Grid reference||Centred NJ 03269 26564 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||ABERNETHY AND KINCARDINE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/284362 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.