MHG50076 - Building, Enclosure - Drumourachie
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Undated)
- ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (30/11/2006 15:10:09)
NJ02NW 137 00977 27501
The remains of Drumourachie comprise three buildings and a garden enclosure, situated at the western edge of a semi-improved field. However, only one building was in use at any one time and it is likely that since the middle of the 19th century Drumourachie was nothing more than a cottage, perhaps with land attached.
The earliest building (NJ 00977 27502) stands 26m W of the garden. Rectangular on plan, it measures 19.4m from NNE to SSW by 5.6m transversely over turf-and-stone walls reduced to a grass-grown bank up to 3m in thickness and 0.8m in height. The long axis of the building runs up and down a slight slope and the floor of the lower, N, end is sunken. This building had evidently gone out of use by the middle of the 19th century because it is not shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Elginshire 1874, sheet xxxii). The only building shown, and it was roofed at that time, stands immediately NW of the enclosure, but all that is now visible of this structure (NJ 01002 27513) are its grass-grown footings. The most recent building (NJ 00999 27485), which is situated immediately SW of the enclosure, is a cottage that is still roofed but no longer occupied.
Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH) 9 October 2006.
|Grid reference||Centred NJ 00976 27500 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||CROMDALE, INVERALLAN AND ADVIE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/284971 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.