MHG501 - Township - Gleann Nan Iomairean, Morvern
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Gleann nan Iomairean. There are the outlines and remains of at least 10 houses and an arable enclosure in this area. Occupied by 1770, probably abandoned by 1819, a (?) later house at NM 601 503.
P Gaskell 1949. <1>
Site not visited. Arable enclosure but no houses visible on aerial photographs.
Visited by OS (N K B) 16 June 1970.
This township was noted by WCAS during a 2011 DBA and walkover survey in advance of a woodland creation scheme. Boundary walls were noted, as was a ruinous area of settlement that existed outside of the survey area. Please see report for more details. <2>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Gaskell, P. 1968. Morvern transformed: a highland parish in the nineteenth century. 152.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S and Peteranna, M. 2011. Woodland Creation Project: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment and Walkover Survey - Killundine Estate, Morvern. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 17.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6030 5030 (668m by 668m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22486 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/350090/allt-nan-iomairean (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.