MHG50310 - Slate Quarry - Glen Righ, Creag Nam Meall,
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SLATE QUARRY (Undated)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (24/01/2007 12:10:23)
Well preserved slate building adjacent to exposed slate quarry, left as when abandoned (Historic Scotland 2007).
This abandoned slate quarry is depicted but not named on the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (Inverness-shire (Mainland), surveyed 1870 (published 1873), sheet CLXVI) and on Ordnance survey 6-inch map (Inverness-shire (Mainland), surveyed 1899 (published 1903), sheet CLXVI). The quarry workings measure 40.0m in length north west by south east and 30.0m in width south west by north east and cover an area of some 900 square metres. The attendant spoil heap clearly shows a tipping level. The south east extent of the soil heap lies close to an unroofed building (MHG60194). The road along which the slate (in the form of completed roof slates for which evidence is visible and, perhaps, building material) was transported from the slate quarry down to the Gleann Righ road (which leads west to Onich) ran from NN96576 64049 to NN06042 63014. The forestry plantation now overlies part of this route. The access road at the quarry has been revetted for a short stretch around NN0660 6405 as it moves west and downhill. The geological and topographical conditions made the winning of the almost in-exhaustable slate difficult requiring, in the case of Creag nam Meall, a cart ride of some 3.6 miles (5.8 km) to Onich through difficult terrain.
The Object Name book (ONB), Inverness-shire, Mainland (1876-78, Book 38, 146) does not mention the quarry suggesting that it had been abandoned by that time. The ONB mentions that Creag nam Meall (Rock of the Hillocks) into which the quarry is cut, was within the estate of Donald Cameron of Lochiel (24th Lochiel, Chief of Clan Cameron). Creag nam Meall is now in a Forestry Commission plantation.
The slate outcrop at Creag nam Meall sits within the Ballachulish slates which are found on the south side of Loch Leven running south west for 6 miles and north east of Loch Leven, and from North Ballachulish Quarry to 1.5 miles east of Onich and north east for 7.5 miles almost to Glen Nevis. Such quarries in the Ballachulish area supplied slate to a country where a durable roofing material was needed (J E Richey and J G C Anderson, 1944)
Visited by RCAHMS (MMD/IA), 30th July 2014.
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NN 0661 6405 (61m by 83m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/285927 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.