MHG5032 - Talisker
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NG33SW 2 328 301.
(NG 328 301) Martin mentions a village at Talisker c.1695 (M Martin 1934) and c.1772 Pennant describes near Talisker House "the vestiges of some small buildings, and by them a heap of stones with a basaltic column set erect, in the middle". (presumably a cairn)
T Pennant 1776; M Martin 1934; Visited by OS (A C) 24 January 1961.
The deserted village of Talisker comprises about 25 ruined buildings with yards and enclosures. This run-rig township with much lazy-bed cultivation in evidence.
The village occupies a W facing shelf below high cliffs on the E side of the Sleadale valley. The probable cairn noted by Pennant was not found and local enquiries were fruitless. (Visible on RAF air photographs CPE/Scot/UK/274: 3199-20)
Visited by OS (C F W) 2 June 1961.
A township, comprising three unroofed buildings and one enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Isle of Skye 1881, sheet xxxvii). Sixteen unroofed buildings and six enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 12 November 1996.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3260 3010 (315m by 471m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11077 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.