MHG50769 - Mains of Raddery Farmstead - Rosemarkie
Mains of Raddery near Rosemarkie
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (24/05/2007 14:04:22)
NH75NW 336 71038 59590
Ratherie and Wester Ratherie 1576 ;
G. Radharaidh from radhar ‘an arable field not in tillage’ (H.S.D.), pasture ground with -ach suffix, giving radhargh, place of pasture, old locative radharaigh. In Perthshire we have “na radharaichan,’ the places of pasture. ‘Daimh mhor Radharaidh,’ the big oxen of Raddery, is part of a local saw, which may, however, be really aimed at the people of Raddery. <1>
The GIS spatial data was amended in 2018 according to OS MasterMap. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- --- Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 288787.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 71035 59585 (51m by 51m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/288787 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.