MHG50963 - Field system, enclosures, buildings. Salnafairn, Lower Coire Mhalagain
Field system, enclosures, buildings. Salnafairn, Lower Coire Mhalagain
Type and Period (4)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- LAZY BEDS (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Salnafairn, Lower Coire Mhalagain
Site identified during an archaeological survey of Loch Hourn by NOSAS in 2006.
Site 680 - An enclosed field system, shown in part on the current OS 1:25,000 map, but in better detail on the Harvey 1:25,000 ‘Kintail and Glen Shiel’ hill walkers map. The NGR given above is centred on the larger enclosure. This place, with its buildings, enclosures and small area of lazy beds (Site 681), may represent the final period of development of a shieling site into a summer farm. It is a small green oasis of rough pasture in a wasteland of bog and heath. A possible military/droving route between Bernera and the Great Glen passes close by.
Site 681 - Two small enclosures, the larger being c 0.3ha centred on the given NGR, are shown in part on the current OS 1:25,000 map, but in greater detail on the Harvey 1: 25,000 ‘Kintail and Glen Shiel’ Hillwalkers Map. The enclosures and associated buildings along with a small area of lazy beds, measuring c 20m x 30m overall, may represent the final phase of development of a shieling into a summer farm. It is a small oasis of rough pasture in an otherwise wasteland of bog and heath. A possible military/droving route between Bernera and the Great Glen passes close by.
Site 679 - The boulder footings, standing to 0.6m in height, of a building, measuring c 4.5m SE-NW x 2m internally, with an entrance to the SW.
NGR adjusted based on 2010 Aps <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
Note; Three ruined buildings are visable on Aps to the north area of Site 680 and are shown on the 1st Edition OS map. (T.Blackie 15/6/18)
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J. 03/2007. A Report on the 2006 Archaeological Survey of Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.19 Sites 680,681.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 92635 09742 (135m by 153m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/289690 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.