MHG5098 - Carn Liath, chambered cairn at Kensaleyre
A chambered cairn of uncertain type.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Carn Liath (NR).
OS 6"map, (1968)
Carn Liath, a chambered cairn of uncertain type, about 80' in diameter with sides rising steeply to a height of about 18'. It is composed of relatively small water-worn stones, partly turf-covered, but there has been a little robbing and disturbance, especially at the base on the east side, for the ruined wall which runs from the cairn, but the interference appears to be superficial. On the SSW side of the cairn about 6' within the apparent edge a large stone is partly exposed set on its long side and pointing towards the centre of the cairn. This, together with a large horizontal slab set at right angles to it, may be part of the entrance to a passage. To the west of the upright stone is another backed by cairn material which has the appearance of a peristalith though no other stones of such a setting can be seen. A short cist was formerly exposed about half-way up the NE side of the cairn, it having been uncovered about 1907 by men searching for a stone suitable for a lintel. It contained human bones. Only a few displaced flattish stones now mark the place.
RCAHMS 1928; A S Henshall 1972. <1><2>
A chambered cairn as described by Henshall.
Revised at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (R L) 16 September 1971.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 203-4, No. 632; fig.237.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 483-4, SKY 5.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4201 5139 (32m by 23m) (Mastermap)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3514 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11320 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.