MHG50983 - Target - Kilmuir, Cromarty Firth
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TARGET (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
A timber tower (8 posts at 1.5m intervals) 3.5m high. Iron framed winding mechanism atop it.
Leading inshore from the tower is a linear stone setting running in from the Eastern extremity for approx 25 m by 1.5-2m wide and upstanding no more than 20 cm.
Upright timbers are c 20 by 25cm and rotting at base.
The survey records the tower at NGR 7605 7275. <1>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. The structure is also visible at this location in 2009 Aps. <2> <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Finlayson, W. 09/1998. Coastal Assessment Survey Inner Moray Firth: Volume 2 - Dingwall to Tarbat Ness. Centre for Field Archaeology. 14/12/1998. Paper and Digital. pp. 194.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 75924 72605 (7m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||KILMUIR EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/289800 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.