MHG5110 - Camas Ban
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- COLLIERY (Undated)
- None recorded
Old Shaft (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
About 40 years ago, Lord MacDonald opened two mines in the parish of Portree. A number of experienced colliers were obtained but, owing to the thinness of the seam, its discontinuity and the great difficulty in mining the coal, the work was finally abandoned after repeated trials had been made to strike profitable seams. (For the other mine - see NG53NW 11).
NSA 1845; A Nicolson 1930.
The entrance of this old mine, cut into a vertical rock face some 30' above sea level, is almost entirely obscured by falls of rock from the cliff above; the drift itself is filled almost completely with rubble. No buildings or other adjuncts survive.
Visited by OS (C F W) 22 April 1961.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Nicolson, A. 1930. The history of Skye. 397.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness-shire, 221-2.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4910 4260 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11307 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.