MHG51110 - Tin Church, Oykel Bridge
Late C19 - early C20 tin-built mission hall. Later known as 'Glens Church', a Free Church of Scotland.
Type and Period (2)
- MISSION HALL (19th Century to 20th Century - 1881 AD? to 1966 AD? (between))
- CHURCH (20th Century to 21st Century - 1906 AD? to 2008 AD? (between))
- None recorded
A small simple tin church located on the S side of the River Oykel, just to the west of Oykel Bridge. The church is no longer in use; the windows and door are boarded up with corrugated iron sheets. A plaque inscribed 'Glens Church' remains to the left of the entrance. The building first appears on the 6" second edition OS map c.1905 as a Mission Hall. By the time of the 6" 5a edition OS map c.1967 it is annotated as Glen's Church, with the 1968 25" map annotating the building as 'Glens Church (Free Church of Scotland)'. The exact date when the Mission Hall became the Free Church is unclear although it must have occurred between 1905 and 1967. It is also not known when the church fell out of use. Modern 6" mapping still annotates the building as a place of worship and MasterMap still annotates the building as 'Glens Church.' Although the church is under no known direct threat it is deteriorating through neglect and it will be of no surprise if the building is no longer standing in a matter of years. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NC 38306 00969 (11m by 8m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.